Tuesday, January 13, 2009

An Offer I Can't Refuse

Almost 15 years ago, I was asked to be the godmother to my first cousin, once removed (or my first cousin's daughter.) This year, I get to have that honor again with my friends' son.
It's fun that I'll now have a goddaughter and a godson. Admittedly, my church skills are a little rusty, but I'm working on that. In anticipation of the christening, I've been doing a little church shopping with my godson-to-be's family. We all attended a service last year and his mom and I went this year. We're all hoping to pick a church and join so that the baby can be baptized there.
I don't know how strict the church is these days about godparents being certified Catholic. The last time around was easy since she was baptized at my home parish. I would guess that being a member of a church might qualify me for godparentdom -- after all, I've had all my sacraments.
I always liked church. I like the ceremony and celebration. I have dislikes too, but I'll save my grouses for when I have an audience with the Pope. I'd love to bend that guy's ear.

No comments: