Thursday, January 29, 2009

Book of Job

Since I've been doing contract work for a few years now, not knowing whether I'll have a job to go to tomorrow is nothing new. Of the three and a half contracts I've done, one is currently ongoing, one gave me a few weeks notice before ending, one transitioned into another contract (hence the half) and the last one ended suddenly. The common theme for all of them has been that they could end at a moment's notice. The soft hammer was swung today when I was told that the current project would likely come to an end, they think, in all probability, by mid-February. This isn't the first time I've been told the project was ending, but the last warnings they gave were for a month out not just two weeks. I'm guessing it's more eminent, but who knows?

Still, no time like the present to work on one of my New Year's resolutions, which is to get a full-time permanent job. I think I know approximately what I want to do in the next phase of my career, but I'm not sure they're hiring. It's not as if I haven't been looking and applying for jobs while doing these temporary gigs but it's time to step up the search. The first thing I have to do is get my resume in shipshape.

No comments: