Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ahead of the Weather

Tonight's forecasted low is 5 degrees. Oddly enough, that's the forecasted high on Friday. The lows for the next couple days are in the negative numbers. Brrrr is an understatement.

According to this article you should set your thermostat to 58 degrees and use space heaters in order to keep your gas bills down during this frigid weather. I think that's a great idea if you aren't prone to falling asleep while watching television like I am. I don't trust myself to burn a candle let alone have a space heater running.

I'm not the intended audience for the article because I keep my thermostat set to 60-62 degrees. If other people are in the house, I turn it up to 68-72 degrees. My house is old and drafty and always feels somewhat cold regardless of what the thermostat says, but I have a lot of blankets, afghans, comforters and robes to keep myself warm. I'd use my fireplace but I don't think you're supposed to burn fires in subzero weather. It's more pretty than warm anyway.

No comments: