Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hair Apparent

When I was a kid I had really long hair. There are pictures of me where it's down to my waist. I really loved my long hair. I remember yelling at my mom not to cut too much when she trimmed it. That lasted until the summer of 1981 when I got a Dorothy Hamill cut. Although it wasn't my idea to get the cut, it was nice not to have to wear a bathing cap when swimming.
From then on, I've been a hairhopper. My hair has been buzzed, it's been shoulder length and it's been everywhere in between.

For the past two years or so I've been growing it out, and now it's the longest it's been in my adult life. I let it grow past the point where I usually get sick of it and cut it. I'm getting it trimmed next week, but I won't do anything drastic. Not yet anyway. I'm sure I'll cut it short again in the future.

I think I kind of like it, but I'm still getting used to it. I forgot stupid things like detangling and washing or how to wear jewelry without hurting yourself. And maybe it is because my hair was young and undyed but I seem to lose a lot hair in a day. The worst is finding hairballs in my newly washed clothes. Sure they're bunches of clean hair but it's gross and unnecessary and not a problem when you have short hair.

No comments: