Friday, February 27, 2009

Yes Sir, No Sir

My grandfather always told me that if I was stopped by the police, I should be polite and say, "yes sir" or "no sir." That was the first thing that went though my mind as I drove home from dinner tonight and saw the police car's flashing lights in my rear-view mirror.

A minute and three lights before I was stopped, I went through a light that was very yellow or barely red. I'm not sure why the cops waited so long to stop me, but when they did I was very polite and answered their questions in a straight manner.

There were two officers in the cruiser and both got out and approached my car -- one on either side. The first officer asked me why I went through a red light and for my license and insurance card. He also asked when I last received a ticket. Both cops went back to the cruiser. The second officer came back and asked me what I did for a living and where I worked. He went back to the police car. The first officer came back and said that I had an excellent record and I would be let off with a warning. He added, "my partner said you had a pleasant demeanor." He finished my warning by saying that I did run the red light and that it was winter and I should drive slower. I said, "thank you, I will" and drove home.

I'm glad I heeded my grandfather's advice although I never actually said, "yes sir" or "no sir." At least I said "thank you."

No comments: