Friday, April 10, 2009

High On You

Since today was the last Friday to take advantage of Lenten fish frys (fries?), I went to Saints Constantine & Helen's for their all-you-can-eat whitefish. The non-all-you-can-eat choices were walleye (which was ginormous), fried butterfly shrimp and baked scrod. The dinners came with fries or rice, coleslaw and a roll. If I hadn't gotten the "all the fish you wish" special, I would have added some clam chowder, mac n' cheese or a Greek salad to my dinner... or maybe a spinach pie, too. I did take home a piece of Baklava, which was actually a hard choice because they had four other desserts that looked yummy.

The whitefish was really good and not your run-of-the-mill church fish fry stock. It had an herbed and/or spiced breading and was good and crunchy. I was impressed with the condiment selection as well: ketchup, lemon, malt vinegar, hot sauce and tartar sauce. The place wasn't too crowded, and I had a seat near the fish refills and entertainment, which was three guys playing Greek music and non-Greek music sung in Greek. The only bad part of the night was having to make conversation with a nosy and chatty doctor, who thought I was either Greek or Jewish. Wrong on both counts guy!

No comments: