Friday, September 11, 2009

Sooner or Later

After my shower this morning, I heard a hissing sound coming from the basement. I got downstairs to find my hot water heater had sprung a serious leak. Water was on the floor and streaming out of the bottom of the hot water heater. I turned off the water and the gas supplies and cranked up the dehumidifier. Once the water heater stopped leaking, there wasn't that much water on the floor -- not 40 gallons, for sure. I guess I was lucky that the big leak happened right after I exhausted most of the hot water in the shower. Since some of the water on the floor found its way to the drain, I'm going to wait and see if the basement dries up without my active participation.

It's time to get a new water heater. The thing's been leaking a little for a long time so this wasn't a surprise. For now, I'll have to heat water in the kettle. At least I can use the shop vac in the basement without fear of blowing out the water heater's pilot light. I've been meaning to do that for a long time.

No comments: