Thursday, September 24, 2009

Oil Can What?

My car burns through a lot of oil. I checked it this evening knowing it would need some oil since I hadn't checked it for at least a few weeks. For some reason, I opened the cap where you put the oil in (if there's a proper name for that I don't know it) before I took out the dipstick to check the oil level. I set the cap on the engine like I always do, but this time the cap rolled down through the spaces of the engine and disappeared. I couldn't see it's final resting place so I decided to fill the oil before dealing with the missing cap.

At first I thought it might have fallen through to the ground. But, that's what would have happened before I replaced the underpan. Since that part is brand new and in place it caught the cap. Once I realized where the cap should be it was easy to find. I grabbed my long-handled kitchen tongs and retrieved it on the second try.

Two things occurred to me: A) I can't believe I've never dropped the cap in the engine before today and 2) I can't believe I actually got the cap out of the space where it fell.

No comments: