Monday, August 10, 2009

Open Letter to Bad Drivers

To Whom It May Concern:

On my way home this afternoon, I saw three non-working traffic lights. As I approached the first, I slowed down and noticed that the other cars going in my direction continued through the intersection as if the light was working and green. Similarly, the cars in opposing traffic did the same. There were no cars on the side streets, but I stopped at the intersection, looked both ways and continued on.

At the second intersection, there was a car at the side street on my left. Although I treated the light as a four-way stop, only a few of the other cars did the same.

At the third intersection, most of the cars obeyed the correct traffic rule, but a few didn't. This was the busiest of the three intersections and would have benefited the most from licensed drivers acknowledging the rules of the road.

I can't help but wonder whether people fail to follow the safety rules because they know the rules aren't being enforced or because they are selfish? Are they thinking, "can't catch me" or "screw you guys"? Maybe both?

Love, Deitri
P.S. It would be nice if everyone also stopped for pedestrians in marked crosswalks. The last time I crossed at a crosswalk almost every car, including a police car, drove right through.

No comments: