Friday, August 14, 2009

Kelleys Island

Kelleys Island is the largest freshwater American island in Lake Erie. My friends rented a house on the island for a week and generously let me spend some time there with them. I had planned to take the boat from Sandusky but wound up taking the Kelley's Island Ferry from Marblehead. It was a longer drive on land but a smoother, cheaper and slower (boat speed not time) trip on the water. Also, the ferry runs every half hour so it was convenient to get to the island without being tied to an infrequent schedule.

On the ride over, I followed the crowd and stood next to the cars loaded onto the ferry for the duration of trip. I was surprised that so many people got out of their cars and started their weekend drinking on the morning ferry. I guess that's island culture for you. I saw some beers and mixed drinks being enjoyed on the 20 minute ride. Nothing like cracking open a bottle of Crown Royal before lunch on a Friday. Maybe the Crown Royal was lunch.

Wish you were here!

No comments: