Monday, May 18, 2009

How've You Bean?

I've been experimenting with dry beans for a few months. It all started with the dry bean soup mix that turned into really great soup. I've made it twice with a little variation and both times it was easy. 

Then, I decided to make beans to put in chili instead of using canned beans. That didn't turn out as well because I misread the directions for soaking and cooking beans. Also, I made both beans together, which discolored the kidneys.  The chili was good but the beans were a little hard.

I've since made black beans for tomato black bean soup and to eat with rice.  I've made rosada beans for a bean loaf (think meat loaf with beans instead of meat.) Today I made garbanzo beans for a delicious hummus. 

The soaking part is easy and not really time-intensive if you do it overnight.  Cooking them is tricky because every bean cooks at a different speed.  Also, I have trouble getting a precise simmer on my stove, which doesn't help things.  I'm not an expert yet, but I don't think I'll go back to buying canned beans anytime soon.

No comments: